About the PSP Mini Grants
The Appalachian State University Partnership Mini Grants are intended to build relationships between Appalachian State faculty members by engaging in collaborative projects that are connected to internships, student teaching, professional development of teachers, and/or student learning (P-12 and preservice teachers). The funding should not be used to take the place of current monies, but should be used to expand or refine existing efforts or to begin new initiatives. Partnership districts include Avery, Ashe, Alleghany, Alexander, Caldwell, Catawba, Burke, Elkin City, Watauga, Newton-Conover City, NC School for the Deaf, Winston-Salem/Forsyth County Schools, Wilkes, and the Appalachian State Academies at Elkin and Middle Fork.
The following guidelines should be followed in designing a project proposal:
- Groups should include public school teachers or administrators, education faculty, and pre-service teachers if possible.
- Funding for grants is contingent on available resources and number of grants submitted.
- $500-$1,000 is the funding range. Stipends for teachers are allowed by the University with specific paperwork. Funds may be used for substitute pay, classroom resources, registration, or faculty pay.
Projects should be collaborative in nature and focused on the preparation and/or professional development of practicing teachers, practicing administrators, practicing faculty members, or current students. Projects should include the involvement of teachers, administrators, teacher education/RCOE faculty, and/or clinical interns in the planning, implementation, and/or evaluation process, when possible. Here is a tutorial on ways to enhance your PSP Mini-Grant application:
Deadline for Fall Mini-Grant Proposals: September 30, 2022
*All funds should be spent by the end of each round of funding:
- Fall Mini-Grant Funding must be spent by December 31st
- Spring Mini-Grant Funding must be spent by May 15th
- Summer Mini-Grant Funding must be spent by August 31st
Here is the revised Mini-Grant Application for the September 30th deadline, based on the PSP Mini-Grant committee's feedback. It will no longer be a Google Form, but rather it will be formatted as a Google Doc (forced copy). Applications must be emailed to Dr. Rosenbalm no later than September 30th, 2022 at 5pm at firstname.lastname@example.org. The Mini-Grant Committee will reconvene the second week of October to evaluate the applications for the fall of 2022. Notification of mini-grant recipients will take place by mid-October 2022. The rubric used to evaluate and make decisions on funding is located at the bottom of the application as a resource and a guide for our applicants. Please let Dr. Rosenbalm know if you have any suggestions or questions about this application or rubric.
Summer 2022 Mini-Grant Recipients:
The Grant Committee chose the grants this summer based on their alignment to our goals of collaboration, sustainability, and innovation. According to our evaluation process, we will be able to fund 10 of the 12 applications/projects. The current approved projects are as follows:
1) Ashe/ACES Partnership; Amount: $1,000.00; Recipient: Roy Putman, Director of Human Resources/Public Information Officer; School: Ashe County Schools/ACES ; District: Ashe County Schools
2) Great Learning in the Great Outdoors; Amount: $977.00; Recipient: Olivia Boudwin, Pre-Kindergarten Teacher; School: Bethel ES; District: Watauga County Schools
3) Daily Living Revamp; Amount: $380.00; Recipient: Kristin Williams, Special Education Teacher, 9-12 grades; School: Alleghany HS; District: Alleghany County Schools
4) Mad About Math and Science; Amount: $951.00; Recipient: Sabrina Ehlenberger, Special Education Teacher, K-5 grades; School: Blowing Rock ES; District: Watauga County Schools
5) Pages for Ages; Amount: $858.79; Recipient: Taylor Hughes, K-2 Deaf Plus Teacher; School: NC School for the Deaf; District: DPI; ESDB
6) Get Tactile with It!; Amount: $1,000.00; Recipient: Heather Padilla Seaton, Pre-Math I & Math I Middle School Teacher; School: Blowing Rock ES; District: Watauga County Schools
7) Family Arts Night; Amount: $650.00; Recipient: Jill Bellia, Art Teacher; School: Elkin ES; District: Elkin City Schools
8) Future Difference Makers; Amount: $927.85; Recipient: Krista Dancy, 5th Grade Teacher; School: Parkway ES; District: Watauga County Schools
9) Decodable Readers; Amount: $703.97; Recipient: Courtney Bauguess, 1st/2nd Grade Teacher; School: Rhonda Clingman ES; District: Wilkes County Schools
10) School-Wide STEAM Program; Amount: $950.93; Recipient: Kelly Luna, 6th Grade ELA & Social Studies Teacher; School: Glade Creek ES; District: Alleghany County Schools
Check out our monthly PSP Newsletters for 2022-2023 PSP Mini-Grants application links and information, found on the main page of our PSP website!