About the App State Region NC New Teacher Support Program
The Appalachian State Region of NC New Teacher Support has grown from serving 11 teachers in 2 school districts in 2017 to serving 122 teachers in 9 school districts this year! Four coaches now work to support these teachers in their first, second, or third year of teaching by providing three core services each year:
1) weekly coaching for each teacher enrolled
2) aligned professional development sessions at district Beginning Teacher (BT) meetings and onboarding orientations
3) a state-wide BT Institute each year to allow participating teachers to attend customized conference sessions created specifically for beginning teachers' needs.
In this 2021-2022 school year, we are proud to be serving teachers at the Appalachian Academy at Middle Fork, the NC School for the Deaf, the American Renaissance School, as well as Alexander County, Alleghany County, Elkin City, Watauga County, Ashe County, and Yadkin County Schools. Read this article to learn more about our 4 NC New Teacher Support Coaches for the NW NC Region.
For more information about the statewide NC New Teacher Support Program, available in 11 universiy regions across the state, check out this link: ncntsp.org
NC New Teacher Suppport Program's 5-Year Strategic Plan:
1. Expand existing research and program evaluation that embeds improvement science cycles to demonstrate impact on student learning and achievement.
2. Increase collaboration with EPP partners, UNC System, legislators, community and school district partners to increase communication and develop innovative pathways to expand opportunities to every pre-service and in-service teacher.
3. Support pathways to teacher licensure that include induction support promoting and retaining a diverse teacher workforce.
4. Collaborate with EPP’s to develop innovative programming (i.e. clinical supervision, bundling induction, and professional development modules).
Common Areas of Assistance:
1. Planning and Preparation
- Knowledge of content
- Knowledge of pedagogy (how we teach)
- Knowledge of students
- Knowledge of resources
- Selecting instructional goals
- Designing coherent instruction
- Accessing student learners
2. The Classroom Environment
- Creating a classroom of respect
- Establishing a culture for learning
- Maintaining classroom procedures
- Managing student behavior
- Organizing physical space
- Communicating clearly and accurately
- Using question and discussion techniques
- Engaging students in learning
- Providing feedback to students
- Developing own teaching style
- Demonstrating flexibility and responsiveness
4. Professional Responsibilities
- Reflecting and teaching
- Maintaining accurate records
- Communicating with families
- Showing professionalism
- Contributing to the school and community
- Growing and developing professionally