About the App State Region NC New Teacher Support Program
The Appalachian State Region of NC New Teacher Support has grown from serving 27 teachers in 5 school districts last year to serving 62 teachers in 10 school districts this year! Three coaches now work to support these teachers in their first, second, or third year of teaching by providing three core services each year:
1) weekly coaching for each teacher enrolled
2) aligned professional development sessions at district Beginning Teacher (BT) meetings and onboarding orientations
3) a state-wide BT Institute each year to allow participating teachers to attend customized conference sessions created specifically for beginning teachers' needs.
In this 2020-2021 school year, we are proud of be serving teachers at the Appalachian Academy at Middle Fork, the NC School for the Deaf, the American Renaissance School, as well as Alleghany County, Avery County, Caldwell County, Elkin City, Watauga County, Ashe County, and Yadkin County Schools.
For more information about the statewide NC New Teacher Support Program, available in regions across the state, check out this link: https://ncntsp.ecu.edu/
NC NTSP 5-Year Plan Priorities:
1. Expand existing research and program evaluation that embeds improvement science cycles to demonstrate impact on student learning and achievement.
2. Increase collaboration with EPP partners, UNC System, legislators, community and school district partners to increase communication and develop innovative pathways to expand opportunities to every pre-service and in-service teacher.
3. Support pathways to teacher licensure that include induction support promoting and retaining a diverse teacher workforce.
4. Collaborate with EPP’s to develop innovative programming (i.e. clinical supervision, bundling induction, and professional development modules).